Mother’s Day is a day dedicated to honoring and appreciating mothers everywhere for all that they do. This year, why not show how much you love your mom by sharing a special day together?
Let’s take a look at the history of how this national holiday emerged. Mother’s Day dates back over 4,000 years ago to ancient Greeks who celebrated the divine mother of the gods, Rhea, with an annual festival. Later on in Europe, a tradition called “mothering Sunday” emerged – held around the fourth Sunday of Lent (right before Easter) where children would pick flowers for their own mother and return home to present them as gifts.
In the United States, Mother’s Day was first proposed by social activist Juliet Calhoun Blakely in 1870. After seeing how much her son appreciated his late mother (who had died from an illness), Blakely wanted to create a special day to honor mothers across the country. Anna Jarvis introduced Mother’s day in 1908 to honor her own mother. In 1914, President Woodrow Wilson declared that every second Sunday of May should be officially recognized as “Mother’s Day.” In that year Mother’s Day International Association was founded to promote world peace through honoring mothers around the world.
What does the Mother’s Day represent?
Mother’s Day is one of the special holidays of the year where we can honor motherhood and every women, show appreciation for their unconditional love, and celebrate the strength and resilience of all mothers or grandmother everywhere.
It’s easy to take mothers for granted, but on this special day it’s important to recognize just how much our moms do for us. From wiping away tears during childhood scrapes to helping us through the biggest life decisions, moms are always there to provide guidance and support. In addition to offering endless love and care, many mothers also have full-time jobs that require enormous amounts of dedication—not just in terms of physical output, but mental as well.
For those of us who have been fortunate enough to have had strong maternal figures throughout our lives, it’s essential that we remember to celebrate them every single day. But if you’re someone looking for extra special ways to say “I love you” on Mother’s Day itself, there are plenty of thoughtful gestures you can make or gifts you can give your own mother. Whether she loves gardening or cooking up delicious recipes in the kitchen, finding out what she enjoys doing most is key. You could even organize a picnic with her favorite treats as an extra special surprise!
On Mother’s Day it’s also an opportunity to recognize Survivors of violence, poverty and illness around the world; mothers whose strength and courage offer hope for themselves and their families amidst struggle and hardship. We should take this chance to come together as a global community celebrating these resilient women heroes worldwide who face seemingly insurmountable odds yet persevere with dignity each day—a true testament of motherhood today.
By showing genuine appreciation on mother’s day by performing meaningful acts like passing out cards or flowers or volunteering at a local shelter supporting victims of abuse —we can turn this one-day celebration into an everyday effort honoring not just our own moms but all these inspiring women all over the planet!
Mother’s day around the world
Mother’s Day is a special day celebrated around the world to honor mothers and motherhood. While this national holiday varies in its date of observance, the sentiment behind it is generally the same—to recognize and appreciate all that mothers do for their families and communities.
In many countries, including the United States and Canada, Mother’s Day is celebrated on the second Sunday in May. Other countries such as Mexico and Colombia commemorate this special occasion on May 10th, while India celebrates it on the fourth Sunday of April. In France, it’s celebrated in early June and Japan does so in late March.
No matter which day it falls on, people everywhere take time out from their busy schedules to express their gratitude towards their beloved moms through thoughtful gifts or heartfelt words of appreciation. Some countries have specific traditions associated with Mother’s Day. For instance, Ecuadorians string flower necklaces for their moms with five petals to represent each of her children; Swedes make heart-shaped trinkets out of straws; Chinese kids give paper mache dolls reflecting how much they adore her; while Egyptians enjoy a traditional meal prepared by mom herself!
Mother’s Day is also a great way to bring people together across cultures by recognizing the significance of maternal love regardless of where you are from or what language you speak. Whether we use this day to say “thank you” to our own moms or celebrate the heroic women all over the world who face obstacles daily — embracing this special holiday with open arms can create powerful moments that last a lifetime!
What makes Mother’s Day special?
Mother’s Day is a special day of the year where we can show appreciation to our moms for all that they do. According to redditors, there are several things that make this holiday so special:
- It’s a chance to thank our moms for their unconditional love and support. As one user put it, “Mother’s Day isn’t just about buying gifts and cards—it’s about making sure she knows how much we appreciate her.”
- It offers an opportunity to celebrate our mothers’ strength and resilience as they juggle motherhood with full-time jobs or other responsibilities. As another user wrote, “I hope Mother’s Day will become more than just a day but about celebrating who she is and all that she does for us all year round!”
- It provides an opportunity to recognize mothers around the world who face poverty, violence, or illness with courage and dignity. Redditor @Cranky McShootface said it best: “I feel like Mother’s Day should be used as a way to show appreciation not only to those in our own lives but also those in faraway places struggling through hard times.”
- It serves as an occasion for families to come together and make meaningful memories with their moms. Numerous redditors shared stories of how they spent Mother’s Day with their families by cooking traditional dishes or taking trips together.
Overall, it appears that what makes Mother’s Day special is not just the gifts or cards, but rather the heartfelt gestures that show just how much we care about the women in our lives who have sacrificed so much for us!
What do mothers really want on Mother’s Day?
According to mothers who shared their experiences on Reddit and Facebook, there are a few things that moms really want on Mother’s Day:
- Quality time with family. Many moms wrote about how simply spending quality time with their kids and families was more valuable than any gifts. One user said, “I would rather spend the day together eating brunch, talking, and laughing than receive another store-bought gift or card.”
- Appreciation for what they do every day. For some mothers, being thanked for all that they do is an important part of the holiday. As one mom put it, “A sincere ‘thank you’ accompanied by a hug and kiss says more than any gift ever could.”
- Words of affirmation and respect from their children. Other mothers highlighted the importance of hearing words of love and support from their kids as a way to see how much they are valued in their family’s lives. As another mother wrote, “I always appreciate when my kids take a moment during the day to tell me how thankful they are that I am their mom. That’s the best present I can get!”
Clearly, gifts and cards may be nice tokens to show our gratitude on Mother’s Day, but it seems like making sure we express our appreciation in words may be equally as important!
How will you spend Mother’s Day?
This year, you should plan on making Mother’s Day a day that your mom will never forget. Show her how much she means to you with a great gesture that really goes the extra mile.
One of the best ways to show your mom your appreciation is by giving her a gift. Make sure it comes from the heart and is something special that she wouldn’t expect. If you have the time, try putting together something unique like an album of family photos or a basket filled with personalized items. Don’t forget about non-material gifts! A massage or spa treatment could be just what your mom needs for her special day.
The second way to show your love for your mother this Mother’s Day is by doing something nice for her around the house. Offer to help out with any tasks she may have so she can take some much needed down time. Cook up a delicious meal for everyone in the family, clean up any clutter around the house, or make something crafty that can be displayed in your home afterwards as a reminder of how much you care about her year round.
Finally, don’t forget about expressing yourself verbally as well! Take some time during lunch or dinner to tell her how thankful you are that she is part of your life and thank her for all of the hard work she has done while raising you and keeping everything running smoothly in the household. Your mom deserves an entire day dedicated to letting her know how amazing she is so use this Mother’s Day as an opportunity to do just that!
What are some different things to do on Mother’s Day?
Mother’s Day is a special day to show appreciation for the most important woman in our lives. Taking the time to plan out a special day for your mom can be daunting, but there are endless possibilities! Whether you’re looking for something traditional or off-the-wall, here are some ideas for how to make this year’s Mother’s Day one she won’t forget:
- Cook up a homemade meal. Show your mom that you appreciate all of the meals she has made for you over the years by treating her to something delicious – whether it is breakfast in bed or an elaborate dinner.
- Offer your assistance with any tasks she may have lined up such as cleaning, gardening, washing windows, etc., so she can relax instead of working on labor-intensive chores that day!
- Give her a massage/spa treatment/manicure/pedicure – whatever she enjoys! Let her take some time off from work and stress and just enjoy being pampered for once.
- Take her out on an activity like lunch, dinner, movie theatre, show or another form of entertainment! Spending quality time together can make memories that will last forever.
- Create something together like arts & crafts projects, baking treats, exploring new places – get creative and enjoy each other’s company while making something unique at the same time!
- Put together a photo album of memories from over the years – it will certainly bring back lots of fond memories as well as provide laughs and conversations that last long after Mother’s Day ends!
- Don’t forget to thank her verbally during lunch/dinner or while spending quality time together – express yourself and let your mother know just how much you appreciate everything she has done (and continues to do) for you without asking anything in return! This simple but powerful gesture will definitely make her smile from ear to ear on this special day dedicated just to her!
Best mother’s day gifts
Mother’s Day is the perfect opportunity to show her how much you care, and a thoughtful gift is always a great way to do that! From something practical to something absolutely luxurious, here are ten gift ideas for your mom this national holiday Day that she’ll love:
- A handmade item such as a knitted scarf, jewelry, or pottery. Show her your love in the form of a unique and special item made by you!
- A subscription service like movie tickets, cooking ingredients delivered regularly, or monthly coffees. Give her something to look forward to every month with this practical and convenient gifting option.
- For moms who love pampering themselves – give the gift of spa-style relaxation with items like bath bombs and lotions that are sure to scent up her bathroom with relaxing aromas.
- For those moms who have green thumbs – give them gardening tools or kits so they can tend to their garden with ease!
- If your mom loves books, why not get her one (or two!) of her favorite authors or titles? It’s guaranteed to be a welcome addition to any home library!
- A personalized piece of jewelry is both thoughtful and stylish – making it the perfect choice for mothers who appreciate fashion accessories as much as sentimentality!
- Personalized items like photo frames or mugs are another great way to show your mom just how special she is without breaking the bank!
- Get your mom some kitchen gadgets that make everyday tasks simpler – from food processors for meal prep, electric whisks for whipping up egg whites faster than ever before, or even new color-coordinated utensils will ensure plenty of smiles come Mother’s Day morning!
- Mother’s day card – what better way to allow your mother pick out whatever she wants at her favorite stores? This allows your mother free reign over picking out whatever she likes as well as giving you an easy win when it comes time for giftgiving!
- For inexperienced cooks looking for guidance – why not get them a class on how to cook healthier meals? Not only will it prove beneficial in the long run but it also gives them an enjoyable activity they can share with family and friends alike!
DIY mother’s day gifts
Mother’s Day is the perfect time to show your mom just how much you care, and what better way to do that than with a homemade gift? DIY gifts are not only personal but also budget-friendly than other gifts – here are some creative DIY mother’s day gifts she will love:
- Create her favorite meal. Whether it’s pancakes for breakfast or lasagna for dinner, use the special occasion of Mother’s Day to whip up something delicious in the kitchen!
- An afternoon at the spa. Draw a warm bath and add some calming essential oils such as lavender or peppermint, then give her a head massage and manicure/pedicure afterwards to make her feel like royalty!
- Make-your-own design white t-shirt (https://customcreative.store/product/make-your-own-design-white-t-shirt/). This crafty project is both fun and productive – pick out one of your mom’s favorite artwork or her picture, upload it on Custom Creative, the t-shirt will be delivered within 4-5 days.! She’ll appreciate having something unique and made especially for her that was handmade with love.
- Design Your Own Color Printed Shoulder Strap Canvas Tote Bag (https://customcreative.store/product/design-your-own-color-printed-shoulder-strap-canvas-totebag). A timeless accessory made even more special when personalized by you – pick out some of your mom’s favorite artwork or her picture and get creating the perfect lightweight bag that she can take anywhere in style!
- Make Your Own DIY Design Phone Case (https://customcreative.store/product/make-your-own-diy-designphonecase). Show your mom how tech savvy you are by giving her a custom phone case. This one sure takes creativity to new levels while keeping her phone looking stylishly protected!
- Plant a garden together – get creative by using flower pots or getting messy in the dirt and planting some of her favorite flowers! Planting together can be a nice bonding experience that she can enjoy for many months to come!
- Arrange an evening picnic outdoors if weather permits – set up a cozy blanket along with all sorts of snacks (think sandwiches, cake, fruit salad) plus drinks (lemonade or tea would be great!) so she can sit back and relax while taking in nature’s beauty!
Mother’s day breakfast ideas
Mother’s Day is the perfect national holiday to show your mom just how much you care, and what better way to start the day than with a special breakfast? Here are some delicious ideas to make her feel loved:
- Pancakes with fresh berries and a dollop of whipped cream – fluffy pancakes, mounds of sweet berries, and a cloud of cream will definitely bring a smile to your mother’s face!
- Scrambled eggs with bacon and some toast – give your scramble some extra flavor by adding in diced tomatoes or onions before giving it a good stir over the stove top! Slice up some thick slices of bacon for added indulgence, then complete the meal with fresh toast or croissant.
- Eggnog French Toast: If she loves eggnog, this twist on French Toast will be an absolute hit! Dip each slice of toast in eggnog before lightly pan-frying and top everything off with powdered sugar for that creamy-sweet flavor everyone loves.
- Savory Waffle Bites: Make these bite-sized waffles for maximum deliciousness! Pack these pockets full of ham, cheese, spinach – pick any combination you can think of – then pop them in the oven until lightly golden and serve them up warm along with some freshly cut fruit or yogurt.
- Omelette Crepe: This one is simply divine for mother’s day breakfast – combine eggs and cream then pour into a greased pan over low heat until omelette crepes form. Carefully flip half-way through so that both sides cook evenly before adding your favorite fillings; try feta crumbles, smoked salmon, wilted spinach! Serve it alongside some hash browns or crispy bacon strips for added crunchy goodness.
- Yogurt Parfait: Perfect for a quick but balanced breakfast option – layer greek yogurt with fresh berries and granola before drizzling honey over everything to make it even more scrumptious!
Mother’s Day is a special day to celebrate the amazing mothers, grandmothers and mother figures in our lives. As children, it is important for us to recognize how much our mothers do for us and strive to find ways to show them love and a appreciation all year round. We can do small acts of kindness like bringing them breakfast in bed or taking over some of their daily tasks. We can express our love with handmade gifts or a thoughtful card expressing all that we are thankful for. Most importantly, setting aside time to spend with them and simply thanking them for always being there can go a long way! Ultimately, no matter what we do on Mother’s Day, showing our mothers just how much they mean to us is always the best way to show our appreciation. Let’s take every day as an opportunity to honor our amazing mothers with love and gratitude!